My mind is constantly playing around even when I have perfect conditions for studying.

I get really annoyed by a habit of mine of not doing things that I am supposed to do, especially when it's time to study.When it's time to study I get hungry, thirsty, I need to pee, check my notifications and email. I remember that I wanted see a documentary about SpaceX and human colonization on Mars that's on youtube and after a couple of hours I would be watching short clips of "The Ellen Show". A part of my brain always provokes me to get back to my work that's important but unrewarding, and another part of my brain says see that's not fun, lets do something rewarding that can give you some instant gratification.

Few days back I was going through the same process and I landed in a random page on Quora and I came to know about a situation that resonated my situation. I did some research on the internet about it, read few articles, I used the technique myself first and decided to write something about it. 

Resistance! It laughs at your “perfect conditions!” It sabotages every effort you make to knuckle down! Well, take comfort in knowing that Resistance is a universal human battle between our “will” and our “wants”

DISCLAIMER: Be prepared to look like a schizophrenic manic if you plan to use whatever I mention below.
Here is a brain-technique, that can work with a little patient practice. It is based on using your metacognitive processing ability. 
Think of your brain and “you” as two SEPARATE things. Buy yourself a little brain model (one of those plastic models) so you can keep your brain on your desk or you can use any object assuming it as your brain, but don't forget to take care of it like you take care of your brain, thats really important… where it can help you ‘objectify’ it (see it as separate).
YOUR BRAIN: It wants to be the boss! It has all kinds of other things it wants you to do and think about. It sends constant distractions; it tries to break your concentration with tons of ideas, feelings, impulses, needs, interests, sensations, etc.! Wow.. this brain is NOT helping you. It is a tyrant!
YOU: You need to show your brain that YOU are the boss! You get to decide what you do, and when. When this tyrant sends its sabotaging signals… it’s GOOD that you recognize them! Stay keenly aware of what’s going on.. and REFUSE to be hijacked by this tyrant every time it ‘sneaks’ in. A glance at the brain model sitting on your desk. If you “feed” this tyrant by giving in, or giving it attention, it will rule your day (and ruin your day!)
I know, this is a silly-sounding game. But what you are doing is activating the most powerful region of your brain, the pre-frontal cortex! Specialized neurons there regulate attention, intention, focus, and concentration. These same neurons let you MONITOR your own brain activity (metacognition) so you can inhibit, direct, and modulate your cognitive/learning process. Other neurons in this area allow you to regulate your emotions so that you can be less impulsive, reactive, anxious, etc.
Together, the neurons of the pre-frontal cortex put YOU in control of YOU! Best of luck in your studies.

Comments

Popular Posts